Monday, February 7, 2011

New Year's Resolution Number 11

New Year’s Resolution Number 11

Swagger

Is Mental Tickling

It is playful, mock aggression

necessarily directed at others

But please do not be alarmed

If you proceed to L.O.L. throughout the duration

Of this poem

It simply means your mentally ticklish

Yeah I’m about to swagercize all over this room

Like I had red kicks with springs at my soul

Jumping out to you

With a track jacket

That had my last name and your new favorite number on the back

That’d be my phone number

Yeahhh, I’m about to swagger

Like I was walking into a party

And pointing so much

You thought I was choreographing a scatter plot

Yeahh, I’m about to swagger so large

You’ll need a satellite that has an orbital

Going through at least 14 zodiac signs just to capture the

Full picture

Yeah, I’m about to swagger so hard

The ground might break like tension

Yeah I’m about to swagger

But first,

Maybe I should check what I’m swaggering about

Because this nagging voice I know better than most of my fb friends

Keeps asking me if I’m a confident man

Or just a con man

Because confidence is a self-congratulatory hi-five routine

It is the songs you sing in the shower

The glow that sticks when the name-drops are cropped,

The hi-fives do stop, the flirting just flops, the grades straight up drop

It is solace but also solitude.

Look, I enjoy the show of swag just as much as Kanye

And if I’m chilling at a party

I’ll rock a pair of glasses made of plastic

Whose only apparent purpose is to show

That your vision is so good

That you can still see with plastic bars

Imprisoning your forward view

But I want to know when the show’s over

And everyone’s gone somewhere

That I can slip those glasses off

And still see my grin in a reflective material or state

See, confidence might be what you’ve done, who you are

Your objectives in a relativist world

It is certainly the rare smile put on when you are by yourself

Not imagining you are in the company of others.

Cognizant of your isolation

And still smiling.

Please do not take this to mean that confidence is selfish.

It simply requires no recognition.

New Year’s Resolution Number 11: Solidify confidence

New Year’s Resolution Number 12: Establish Swagger.

No comments:

Post a Comment